Jobs & Internships
Retail Sales Associate (or, as we call it, a Reuse Associate!)
We are looking for an energetic and outgoing Retail Sales / Reuse Associate to serve the public in our reuse center. Weekend work required. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Qualities of the perfect candidate:
- Outgoing, friendly personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
- Ability to work Fridays and weekends
- Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage; prior work experience in a hardware store preferred but not required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong English-speaking and writing skills; bilingual Spanish preferred
- Strong basic math skills
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills; prior retail store experience a plus
- Capacity to perform physical labor and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs.) in a non-climate controlled environment, including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to fully follow through on work assignments in a timely manner, with attention to detail
- Works well in a cooperative team-based environment
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
- Expressed commitment to the Community Forklift mission
About the Position:
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers, volunteers and donors; greet people entering the store
- Provide excellent customer service to donors and warehouse customers as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission, events, policies and other recycling and reuse options
- Gather information from donors and customers as requested
- Facilitate customer sales by writing up tickets and operating cash registers
- Clean and organize donated building materials and store displays; assist labeling and stocking materials
- Assist moving product from the processing areas to appropriate area of the sales floor
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to fulfill the mission and support team activities
To Apply to be a Retail Sales / Reuse Associate: Send a resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references by email to COOCommunityForklift(at)gmail.com, by fax to (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Retail Sales/Reuse Associate, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please, no phone calls.
We are currently looking for on-call contractors, or “Community Builders,” to assist our Outreach & Education team. We need extroverts who can staff our booth at street fairs and trade shows, facilitate special events, support workshop presenters in our classroom, and lead volunteer groups at our warehouse. The best candidate will have an easygoing and very outgoing personality, great time-management habits, and good record-keeping skills. Hours vary according to your availability and our needs, but our busiest seasons are weekends in April – June and September – November. Get more info or apply to be a Community Builder here.
Summer 2016 Outreach & Education Intern
Our outreach and education department is excited to welcome a summer intern onto our team! We coordinate events, schedule workshops and educational programs, manage our community giving to other nonprofits and neighbors in need, and maintain our organization’s partnerships. Attention to detail as well as excellent record-keeping and communication is required. The internship will include the following types of work:
- Drafting newsletters, articles, and other outreach information
- Creating posts for our social media
- Recordkeeping and filing for our community giving programs
- Assisting with event planning and yearly reporting
- Working on projects with volunteers
- Other administrative tasks as needed
Duration: Late May/early June 2016 through August 2016 (Negotiable)
Hours per Week: At least two full days/week (16+ hours), but full-time internship also possible
Work Environment: Both office work and outside work possible. Casual, family-friendly dress code and sturdy shoes required. Warehouse is not climate-controlled, but our offices are.
Compensation: Unpaid position, but a travel stipend may be provided.
Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Alex Winter at email@example.com — applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Thanks for your interest!
Come get your hands dirty for a good cause! Volunteer at the Forklift for a few hours, a day, or even on a regular basis. Opportunities range from helping out at community events to cleaning and organizing donated items in the warehouse.
Just fill out our volunteer inquiry form here. For groups, please give at least two weeks’ notice for us to arrange a project.