Jobs & Internships
Community Forklift is seeking an energetic and outgoing Retail Sales Associate to work with our growing green business. This is a full-time position and will require regular weekend work. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
• Outgoing, friendly personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
• Ability to work weekends
• Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage; prior work experience in a hardware store preferred but not required
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong English-speaking and writing skills; bilingual Spanish preferred
• Excellent organizational and customer service skills; prior retail store experience a plus
• Capacity to perform physical labor and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs.) in a non-climate controlled environment including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
• Ability to fully follow through on work assignments in a timely manner, with attention to detail
• Works well in a cooperative team-based environment
• Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
• Expressed commitment to the Community Forklift mission
About the Position
• REQUIRED: 40 hours/week, including weekends
• Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers, volunteers and donors; greet people entering the store
• Provide excellent customer service to donors and warehouse customers as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission, events, policies and other recycling and reuse options
• Write up tickets, complete related paperwork, and operate cash registers with speed, accuracy, and attention to detail
• Clean and organize donated building materials and store displays; label and stock materials
• Gather information from donors and customers as requested
• Assist moving product from the processing areas to the sales floor
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to fulfill the mission and support team activities
• $11 per hour
• Subsidized health, dental and vision plans
• Opportunity for advancement as the business growsAbout Community Forklift
Community Forklift is a nonprofit reuse center for home improvement and architectural salvage. The store accepts donations of new, gently-used and vintage building materials; these donated renovation supplies are then made available to the public at low prices and donated to local nonprofits. Community Forklift is located outside Northeast DC, near the Hyattsville Arts District.
Send a resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references: by emailing CooCommunityForklift@gmail.com, by fax (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Retail Sales Associate, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please, no phone calls.
Community Forklift offers a Sustainable Business Internship every spring, summer, and fall.
As our Intern, you’ll work with our Outreach & Education Team to build our outreach & publicity both online and in the community. We’ll consider your existing skills and interests to develop a semester-long project compatible with your own academic goals.
In addition, you should expect to gain experience and skills:
- Represent the organization at public events,
- Conduct internet & phone research, and
- Work both independently and within a team.
Please note that our internship is unpaid, but a small stipend to cover your travel will be reimbursed to you at the end of your internship.
Applications accepted year-round. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Outreach(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org.
Thanks for your interest!
Come get your hands dirty for a good cause! Volunteer at the Forklift for a few hours, a day, or even on a regular basis. Opportunities range from helping out at community events to cleaning and organizing donated items in the warehouse.
Just fill out our volunteer inquiry form here. Please contact us at least two to three weeks in advance of the day you would like to volunteer. Please note that except during special events, we are only available to host volunteers between 9am and 4pm.