We are currently looking for on-call contractors, or “Community Builders,” to assist our Outreach & Education team. We need extroverts who can staff our booth at street fairs and trade shows, facilitate special events, support workshop presenters in our classroom, and lead volunteer groups at our warehouse. The best candidate will have an easygoing and very outgoing personality, great time-management habits, and good record-keeping skills. Hours vary according to your availability and our needs, but our busiest seasons are weekends in April – June and September – November. Get more info or apply to be a Community Builder here.
Community Forklift is seeking a full-time Donations Coordinator to work with our growing green business. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. The Donations Coordinator is primarily responsible for managing Community Forklift’s Donations staff and coordinating pickups of donated materials. The Donation Coordinator’s duties include supervising drivers and helpers; ensuring truck safety and maintenance; communicating with donors; and managing the schedule and logistics of our donations trucks.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
Compensation and Benefits
Send a résumé, cover letter and three (3) recent professional references: by email to COOCommunityForklift@gmail.com, by fax (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Donations Coordinator, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please, no phone calls.
Community Forklift is seeking energetic and outgoing Retail Sales Associates (or as we call them, “Reuse Associates”) to work with our growing green business. Full-time and part-time positions available. Weekend shifts are required. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
• Outgoing, friendly personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
• Ability to work weekends
• Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage; prior work experience in a hardware store preferred but not required
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong English-speaking and writing skills; bilingual Spanish preferred
• Excellent organizational and customer service skills; prior retail store experience a plus
• Capacity to perform physical labor and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs.) in a non-climate controlled environment including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
• Ability to fully follow through on work assignments in a timely manner, with attention to detail
• Works well in a cooperative team-based environment
• Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
• Expressed commitment to the Community Forklift mission
About the Position
• REQUIRED: Some weekend shifts
• Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers, volunteers and donors; greet people entering the store
• Provide excellent customer service to donors and warehouse customers as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission, events, policies and other recycling and reuse options
• Facilitate customer sales by writing up tickets and operating cash registers
• Clean and organize donated building materials and store displays; assist labeling and stocking materials
• Gather information from donors and customers as requested
• Assist moving product from the processing areas to appropriate area of the sales floor
• Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to fulfill the mission and support team activities
• $12 per hour
• Subsidized health, dental and vision plans
• Opportunity for advancement as the business grows
Send a résumé, cover letter and three (3) professional references to COOCommunityForklift@gmail.com, by fax (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Retail Sales Associate, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please indicate whether you are seeking a full or part-time position. Please, no phone calls.
Community Forklift offers internships over spring, summer, and fall terms depending on our staffing needs as well as applicants’ interests and skills. This is a great way for high school students, college students, or career-switchers to get an introduction to fields such as green business, sustainability, education and outreach, or administrative work. Please find some of our general guidelines below, and feel free to email Alex Winter at Alex@CommunityForklift.org should you have any specific questions.
Hours per Week: At least two full days/week (16+ hours), but full-time internships also possible.
Work Environment: Both office work and outside work possible. Casual, family-friendly dress code and sturdy shoes required. Warehouse is not climate-controlled, but our offices are.
Compensation: Unpaid position.
Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Alex Winter at Alex@CommunityForklift.org
Thank you for your interest in lifting up our communities!
Come get your hands dirty for a good cause! Volunteer at the Forklift for a few hours, a day, or even on a regular basis. Opportunities range from helping out at community events to cleaning and organizing donated items in the warehouse.
Just fill out our volunteer inquiry form here. Please give at least two weeks’ notice for us to arrange a project.