Thank you for considering a donation to Community Forklift. We accept donations of most new, used and salvaged building & landscaping materials, appliances, and tools, as well as antique and vintage housewares. These are the types of items you would find at a hardware store, home improvement center, or antique store. We will also accept furniture and commercial materials on a case-by-case basis.
Generally, if the materials have all their parts and can be used as originally intended, then the items will be accepted. If an item is dirty, moldy, broken, inoperative or missing pieces, then it is NOT easily reusable and cannot be accepted. We will be more flexible about accepting vintage, antique or other specialty items.
We reserve the right to accept or reject items on a case-by-case basis, depending on individual condition and our current inventory. The list of acceptable items changes periodically, so be sure to check before you donate.
Click here to download a printable PDF version of our Donation Guidelines.
If you want to donate something that we are not able to accept, try these other reuse options.
Please follow the guidelines below when considering making a donation
- Appliances: we accept all major appliances except dishwashers. Wall ovens are accepted on a case by case basis. Appliances must be clean, mold and odor free, and fully functioning with ALL hardware, parts, knobs and shelves. Door gaskets and seals must be in good working order.
- Cabinets and Bathroom Vanities: must be clean and fully functional with no water damage. No cultured marble vanity tops without the matching cabinets. No loose particle board shelves or cabinet drawers.
- Carpet and Rugs: must be clean and in good condition; no staining, smells, rips or burns.
- Ceiling Fans: must include all hardware and the mounting bracket.
- Countertops: marble and granite countertops are accepted. Laminate and Corian accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Doors: solid wood and metal doors are accepted; hollow core doors must be in excellent condition.
- Flooring: must be free of nails. We cannot accept engineered or laminate
- Furniture: solid wood and metal furniture on a case-by-case basis. No upholstered, particle board or office
- Glass and Mirrors: must be framed. No broken glass or items with broken glass.
- HVAC Equipment: accepted on case by case basis, but must be less than 10 years old.
- Hardware: we accept most useable hardware, including fasteners, door knobs, locksets (with keys), hinges, etc.
- Home décor and artwork: accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Landscaping Materials: we accept fencing, stone, flower pots, pavers, etc..
- Light Fixtures: most are accepted. Recessed lights must be new, in box. Fluorescent bulbs must be removed.
- Lumber and Trim: must be free of nails and at least 5’ long.
- Masonry: brick and block must be whole and mortar free. We cannot accept broken brick or block.
- Paint and related items: we accept containers that are at least half-full, less than five years old, rust-free and with readable labels. No corrosives, pesticides, mystery chemicals, powders, or related products.
- Radiators: we accept cast iron and baseboard radiators in good working condition.
- Shower doors: must be new and in box, with all hardware and tracks. No salvaged shower doors.
- Sheet Goods: plywood, drywall, Masonite, etc., must be at least 2 feet by 2 feet.
- Sinks: most sinks and fixtures in good, clean condition. Cultured marble vanity tops with cabinets only.
- Tile: we accept unused ceramic and vinyl tile; salvaged vintage ceramic tile accepted on a case by case basis.
- Toilets: white toilets must be 1.6 gallon (or less) low-flow toilets. Higher flow colored and vintage toilets accepted on a case by case basis. Toilet tank tops must be included and toilets must be clean.
- Tools: we accept hand tools, power tools and gardening tools in good, working order.
- Tubs: Bathtubs and shower pans accepted. No Jacuzzis or hot-tubs. Indoor whirlpool tubs accepted only if new.
- Windows: must be insulated glass, complete with frame and in good working order. Single pane windows and vintage sashes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. No aluminum storm windows or window screens.
- Window treatments: Shutters are accepted; blinds must be new and in box. No drapes or other cloth items.
- Miscellaneous: we also accept insulation (must be bagged), misc. plumbing and electrical supplies, and other building materials that are in good useable condition. If in doubt, call to inquire.
We cannot accept
- Particle board or office furniture
- Broken glass
- Salvaged shower doors
- Used flourescent light bulbs or tubes
- Mattresses, bedding, housewares, baby items and toys
- Exercise Equipment
- Medical Equipment
- Small appliances like blenders and coffee makers
- Corrosives, mystery chemicals, pesticides, powders, etc.
Sorry but we are not able to provide a dumpster for rejected items.
If you need additional information or have questions you can email the Donations Team at Donations(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org or call our Donations Coordinator at (301) 832-0781, Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm.