Hi everyone! Just got this from the folks at the local chapter of the Sierra Club, and wanted to pass it along…
Prince George’s County Clean Energy Organizer Position
The Sierra Club – Maryland Chapter, as part of a coalition seeking to advance a clean, healthy, and fair energy economy, particularly offshore wind power in Maryland, seeks a Clean Energy Organizer to help diversify and strengthen our coalition and help build a broader clean energy movement. The organizer is responsible for cultivating relationships with local groups and leaders, building a strong, educated, and committed base of voters, and coordinating events for campaign visibility. The Organizer will help connect these groups and leaders to local and state legislators.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
· Recruit local leaders and groups across Prince George’s County to expand and diversify coalition membership.
· Identify, recruit, and manage volunteers to assist with the offshore wind campaigns and related clean energy campaigns.
· Coordinate and manage all aspects of volunteer activities such as: phone banks, door to door canvassing, generating calls and letters to elected officials, on-line advocacy and “new media” outreach, generating letters to the editor, meetings with elected officials, and other community gatherings.
· Attend local events in Prince George’s County for volunteer recruitment and visibility, such as tabling at farmers markets, neighborhood festivals, and issues forums.
· Plan and coordinate events such as town hall meetings, workshops, press events, and meetings with legislators.
The following skills are required for the successful applicant:
· Strong outreach and public speaking skills.
· Strong time management skills and close attention to detail.
· 1-2 years experience (either paid or volunteer) working on issue or candidate campaigns.
· Ability to work independently.
. Ability to work in a diverse range of communities with ability to listen and understand local concerns.
. Ability to work with community leaders and elected officials.
The following skills and experience are preferred for the successful applicant:
· Experience with new media outreach.
· Strong writing skills.
· Experience with advocacy and environmental issues, especially energy issues.
· Leadership experience in a team setting.
· Familiarity with Maryland environmental issues, particularly in Prince George’s County.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and database programs.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits based on experience and leadership ability.
Position Requirements: This is a full time position based in College Park that will require some travel within the state, particularly throughout Prince George’s County. Evening and weekend hours are required to be successful.
To Apply: Electronic resume and cover letters preferred. Please submit resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word or PDF format to jobs(at)mdsierra.org.
Application Deadline is Friday, October 21st, 2011, with a start date as soon as possible following selection of a candidate. This position is funded for one year.