Community Forklift Is Hiring!
Community Forklift is hiring again! We’re looking for on-call Community Builders and event assistants to join our Outreach and Education Team.
We’re looking for friendly, outgoing folks who are comfortable with people from all sorts of diverse backgrounds. Our Community Builders are not pushy sales robots, but are extremely enthusiastic, genuine, and committed to the environmental and community work that we’re doing.
As a team, we have a lot of fun at festivals and events throughout the DMV region, and here at the Forklift warehouse. We spread the word about our thrift store and community giving programs, of course, but we also educate the public about local reuse and recycling options.
Below is the full job description. If you’re interested in applying, please follow the link to our webform and fill out the application as soon as possible. (August 14th is the last day we will be accepting applications. We will be holding our training day for Community Builders on Sunday, August 17th).
On Call Community Builder
Community Forklift is seeking energetic, hardworking, and friendly people with excellent people skills who are available to work on Saturdays & Sundays. Occasional weekday availability is a plus. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We need Community Builders who have:
- An outgoing personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
- Excellent English speaking skills (fluent Spanish speaking and writing skills a plus)
- A shared commitment to Community Forklift’s mission and values, which include social and environmental sustainability, reuse, and serving our community
- Interest in building materials, architectural salvage, green business and reuse
- Capability to do physical labor in all seasons (the warehouse is NOT temperature controlled, and many events will be held outdoors)
- The ability to lift and move 50 pounds on a regular basis
- The ability to work weekends (Required for this position)
- Careful attention and good follow-through on remembering details, completing reports, and the ability to work in a busy environment
- Consistent, dependable, punctual, and reliable habits
- Willingness to recycle on a daily basis
- Superior customer service skills
- An exceptionally friendly, patient, and courteous manner
- Proven experience working with a diverse range of people
- Must have reliable access to a vehicle and a clean driving record to transport materials to events (mileage reimbursement available)
- Must have a basic command of computer and internet use
- Must have daily access to email
As a Community Builder, you will:
- Represent Community Forklift by staffing an information table at community events and festivals; this may be alone or alongside another staff member or volunteer
- Assist with special events and in-store programming
- Provide the public with information about our mission, upcoming events & promotions, store policies, directions, our products, and other recycling & reuse options
- Answer questions and requests
- Be available multiple weekend days a month (occasional weekday availability is a plus).
- Gather information from donors, customers, and the public as requested (for example: interesting stories about origins of historic materials or fun stories about how customers re-used items from our warehouse)
- Work creatively and cooperatively with Community Forklift staff to fulfill our mission
- Participate enthusiastically in organizational activities and meetings
- Starting hourly wage: $10
- Employee discount on Community Forklift store materials (consignment products not included)
- Opportunity to contribute to improving the environment and the community
- Opportunity for growth within the organization, and to learn about other green businesses and community organizations
- This is an on-call position.
Complete a Community Builder application as soon as possible:
(August 14th is the last day we will be accepting applications. We will be holding our training day for Community Builders on Sunday, August 17th).