Community Forklift is seeking a Community Outreach Coordinator to work with a growing nonprofit. This is a full-time position (30 + hours). Some weekend availability required.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
• Knowledge and enthusiasm for community service, social work, client services, and community organizing. Work or volunteer experience required (career-changers and recent graduates with related extracurricular activities are welcome to apply).
• Exceptional people skills and patient, friendly personality
• Ability to serve low-income clients with respect, courtesy, and discretion
• Proven success in time management and tracking of details
• Excellent phone skills • Good computer skills
• Flexible in work scheduling
• Spanish language fluency helpful
• Is a self-starter, highly motivated and a creative problem-solver
• Exercises sound judgment and common sense
• Works well in a team oriented environment
• Capable of doing some work in a non-climate controlled environment in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
About the Position
The Community Outreach Coordinator (COC) is responsible for coordinating Community Forklift’s community giving programs.
Primary tasks include:
• Receiving, reviewing, and processing applications submitted to both of our Community Giving programs: the Home Essentials Program (HELP) and Community Building Blocks Program
• Working intensively with high-need individuals, and serving neighbors in need with compassion and patience
• Interacting with individuals and agency representatives to inform them of program opportunities
• Working with each grant recipient to coordinate pick-up or delivery of donated items
• Building and maintaining relationships with community partners, including social service agencies, other nonprofits and community organizations
• Prompt tracking and reporting of program activities
• Ongoing evaluation of program activities and support to other staff who provide program assistance
• Other duties as assigned. Occasional tasks could include:
o Provide support for educational programming as needed
o Contribute to community resources maintained online and in the Forklift warehouse
o Promote giving programs by submitting information for publicity purposes
o When requested, attend events and conferences that highlight community resources, and network with social service agency representatives.
About Community Forklift
Community Forklift is a nonprofit reuse center for home improvement and architectural salvage. The store accepts donations of new, gently-used and vintage building materials; these donated renovation supplies are then made available to the public at low prices and donated to neighbors in need and local nonprofits.
Our goals are to encourage community revitalization by making repairs more affordable for low-income individuals, homeowners, small businesses and nonprofits; keeping reusable items out of landfills and reducing demand for virgin material; educating the public about reuse; and creating local green jobs and economic growth.
We are proud to be located in the Port Towns area in Central Prince George’s County, which is receiving national attention for its growing green business sector. Community Forklift is just outside Northeast DC, near the Hyattsville Arts District and easily accessible from I-295, Kenilworth Ave, and Route 1 (Rhode Island Ave.). The warehouse is very close to the Northeast Branch Bike Trail and within walking distance of several bus lines and a UMD shuttle stop.
Community Forklift is a fun place to work! As part of small, but growing organization, you will learn first-hand about the challenges of running a green nonprofit business; you’ll gain experience in a wide variety of areas; and you won’t be stuck behind a desk all day.
1. Compensation: Hourly based on skills and experience
2. Leave: accrual basis
3. Paid Leave: annual, sick and holidays
4. Medical benefits:
a. Health insurance (70% of individual plan paid by CF for eligible employees)
b. Vision Coverage (paid in full by CF for eligible employees)
c. Dental (50% of individual plan paid by CF for eligible employees)
d. Short Term Disability (paid in full by CF for eligible employees)
5. Other benefits:
a. Store discount (50% discount for all regular employees)
b. Work shoe allowance (up to $100 annually for eligible employees)
Send a résumé, cover letter and three (3) professional references to: Community Outreach Coordinator Position, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781, by fax to 301- 985-5182, or to COOCommunityForklift(at)gmail.com. No phone calls, please.