Good Green Job Alert
Community Forklift is hiring. Come help us save the world, one two-by-four at a time!
We’re an unusual place: a nonprofit reuse center for building materials and architectural salvage. We pick up donations of unwanted, gently-used, and vintage home improvement supplies from all over the DC region. Then we offer these items to the public at our reuse center and distribute free supplies local nonprofits and neighbors in need.
We aim to turn the construction waste stream into a resource stream for local communities! Do you know a friendly person who likes helping folks, loves DIY or home improvement, and hates seeing good stuff go to waste? Please send them our job announcement:
Retail Sales Associate Needed for Green Business
Community Forklift is seeking an energetic and outgoing Retail Sales Associate to work–including weekends–with our growing green business. This is a full-time position. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Qualities of the perfect candidate
- Outgoing, friendly personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable
- Ability to work Fridays and weekends
- Working knowledge of building materials or architectural salvage; prior work experience in a hardware store preferred but not required
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong English speaking and writing skills; bilingual Spanish preferred
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills; prior retail store experience a plus
- Capacity to perform physical labor and moderate lifting (up to 20 lbs.) in a non-climate controlled environment including the ability to work in all seasons and in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to fully follow through on work assignments in a timely manner, with attention to detail
- Works well in a cooperative team-based environment
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for recycling, reuse, sustainability, environmental advocacy and green business
- Expressed commitment to the Community Forklift mission
About the Position
- REQUIRED: 40 hours/week, including Fridays and weekends
- Create a welcoming atmosphere for customers, volunteers and donors; greet people entering the store
- Provide excellent customer service to donors and warehouse customers as well as answer questions about Community Forklift’s mission, events, policies and other recycling and reuse options
- Facilitate customer sales by writing up tickets and operating cash registers
- Clean and organize donated building materials and store displays; assist labeling and stocking materials
- Gather information from donors and customers as requested
- Assist moving product from the processing areas to appropriate area of the sales floor
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with staff to fulfill the mission and support team activities
- $12 per hour
- Subsidized health, dental and vision plans
- Opportunity for advancement as the business grows
About Community Forklift
Community Forklift is a nonprofit reuse center for home improvement and architectural salvage. The store accepts donations of new, gently-used and vintage building materials; these donated renovation supplies are then made available to the public at low prices and donated to local nonprofits. Community Forklift is located outside Northeast DC, near the Hyattsville Arts District.
Send a resume, cover letter and three (3) professional references: to COOCommunityForklift@gmail.org, by fax (301) 985-5182, or by regular mail to Retail Sales Associate, c/o Community Forklift, 4671 Tanglewood Drive, Edmonston, MD 20781. Please, no phone calls.