We’re Hiring! Seeking friendly, outgoing folks
Do you know someone looking for extra or occasional work? Community Forklift is seeking Community Builders to join our Outreach & Education Team for seasonal events.
We’re looking for friendly, outgoing folks who are comfortable with people from diverse backgrounds. Our Community Builders are extremely enthusiastic, genuine, and committed to the environmental and community work that we’re doing. We have a lot of fun at festivals and events throughout the region, and here at the Forklift warehouse. We spread the word about our reuse center and community giving programs, and educate the public about local reuse and recycling options.
Below is the full description for this contract position. If you would like to be a Community Builder, please follow the link to our webform and fill out the application.
Community Builder (on-call contractor)
Community Forklift is seeking energetic, hardworking, and outgoing folks with excellent people skills who are available on Saturdays & Sundays, especially in the spring and fall. Occasional weekday availability is a plus. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We need Community Builders who have:
- An outgoing personality and natural ability to make others feel comfortable.
- Excellent English-speaking skills (fluent Spanish-speaking and writing skills a plus).
- A shared commitment to Community Forklift’s mission and values, which include social and environmental sustainability, reuse, and serving our community.
- An interest in building materials, architectural salvage, green business and reuse.
- The capability to do work in all seasons (the warehouse is NOT temperature controlled, and many events will be held outdoors).
- The ability to lift and move 25 pounds on an occasional basis (for example, when setting up tents and tabletop displays).
- The ability to work weekends (required for this contract).
- Careful attention and good follow-through on remembering details, completing reports, and the ability to work in a busy environment.
- Consistent, dependable, punctual, and reliable habits.
- A willingness to recycle on a daily basis, and to wear silly costumes on occasion.
- Superior customer service skills.
- An exceptionally friendly, patient, and courteous manner.
- Proven experience working with a diverse range of people.
- Reliable access to a vehicle and a clean driving record to transport materials to events (mileage reimbursement available).
- Basic command of computer and internet use (required).
- Daily access to email (required).
As a Community Builder, you will:
- Represent Community Forklift by staffing an information table at community events and festivals; this may be alone or alongside another staff member or volunteer.
- Assist with special events and in-store programming.
- Lead groups of volunteers to process donations, clean displays, and maintain the organization of our materials.
- Provide the public with information about our mission, upcoming events & promotions, store policies, directions, our products, and other recycling & reuse options.
- Answer questions and requests.
- Be available multiple weekend days a month, particularly in the spring and fall (occasional weekday availability is a plus).
- Gather information from donors, customers, and the public as requested (for example: interesting stories about origins of historic materials, or fun stories about how customers used items from our warehouse).
- Work creatively and cooperatively with Community Forklift staff to fulfill our mission.
- Participate enthusiastically in organizational activities and meetings.
- Starting hourly pay: $10.75
- Opportunity to contribute to improving the environment and the community.
- Opportunity for growth within the organization. (In fact, many of our full-time employees started out as Community Builders!)
- Opportunity to learn about and make professional contacts at other green businesses and community organizations.
- Opportunity to earn discounts on our reclaimed items!
- Flexible scheduling– This is an on-call contract position.
Complete a Community Builder application as soon as possible: