Thank you for considering a donation to Community Forklift. We accept donations of most new, used, and salvaged building & landscaping materials, appliances, and tools, as well as antique and vintage housewares. These are the types of items you would find at a hardware store, home improvement center, or antique store. We will also accept furniture and commercial materials on a case-by-case basis.
Generally, if the materials have all their parts and can be used as originally intended, then the items will be accepted. If an item is dirty, moldy, broken, chipped, inoperative, or missing pieces, then it is NOT easily reusable and cannot be accepted. We may be more flexible about accepting vintage, antique or other specialty items.
We reserve the right to accept or reject items on a case-by-case basis, depending on individual condition and our current inventory. The list of acceptable items changes periodically, so be sure to check before you donate.
Click here to download a printable PDF version of our Donation Guidelines.
If you want to donate something that we are not able to accept, try these other reuse options.
Please follow the guidelines below when considering making a donation
- Appliances: We accept all major appliances. Appliances must be clean, mold and odor free, and fully functioning with ALL hardware, parts, knobs and shelves. Door gaskets and seals must be in good working order. Wall ovens and dishwashers are accepted on a case by case basis.
- Cabinets and Bathroom Vanities: Must be clean and fully functional with no water damage. Please DO NOT remove doors, shelves, or drawers from cabinets.
- Carpet and Rugs: Area rugs must be clean and in good condition. We do not accept used wall-to-wall carpeting. The minimum usable size for new wall to wall carpet is 8 feet by 8 feet.
- Ceiling Fans: Must include all hardware and the mounting bracket. Please do not tape the blades as this damages their finish.
- Countertops: Marble and granite countertops are accepted. Laminate and Corian accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Doors: Solid wood and metal doors are accepted; hollow core doors must be in excellent condition.
- Flooring: Must be free of nails. We cannot accept engineered or laminate flooring.
- Furniture: Solid wood and metal furniture is accepted on a case-by-case basis, photos required. No office furniture.
- Glass and Mirrors: Must be framed. Broken pieces of glass and items with broken glass will not be accepted.
- HVAC Equipment: Accepted on case by case basis, but must be less than 10 years old.
- Hardware: We accept most usable hardware, including fasteners, door knobs, lock sets (with keys), hinges, etc.
- Home Décor and Artwork: Accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Landscaping Materials: We accept fencing, stone, flower pots, pavers, etc.
- Light Fixtures: We accept clean and complete new and used light fixtures. Recessed lights must be new, in box. Fluorescent bulbs must be removed.
- Lumber and Trim: Must be free of nails and at least 5’ long.
- Masonry: Brick and block must be whole and mortar free. We cannot accept broken brick or block.
- Paint and Stains: Community Forklift will no longer be accepting donations of paint, stains, miscellaneous chemicals, and chemical cleaners.
- Radiators: We accept baseboard radiators in good working condition. Cast iron radiators accepted on a case by case basis.
- Shower doors: Must be new and in box, with all hardware and tracks. No salvaged shower doors.
- Sheet Goods: Plywood, drywall, Masonite, etc., must be at least 2 feet by 2 feet.
- Sinks: Most sinks and fixtures in good, clean condition. Cultured marble vanity tops with cabinets only.
- Tile: We accept unused ceramic and vinyl tile; salvaged vintage ceramic tile accepted on a case by case basis.
- Toilets: White toilets must be 1.6 gallon (or less) low-flow toilets. Higher flow colored and vintage toilets accepted on a case by case basis. Toilet tank tops must be included and toilets must be clean.
- Tools: We accept hand tools, power tools and gardening tools in good, working order.
- Tubs: Bathtubs accepted if new, with the exception of claw foot tubs. No Jacuzzis or hot-tubs.
- Windows: Must be insulated glass, complete with frame and in good working order. Single pane windows and vintage sashes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. No aluminum storm windows or window screens.
- Window treatments: Shutters are accepted; blinds must be new and in box. No drapes or other cloth items.
- Miscellaneous: We also accept insulation (must be bagged and new), misc. plumbing and electrical supplies, and other building materials that are in good useable condition. If in doubt, call to inquire.
We cannot accept
- Fluorescent light bulbs or tubes
- Mattresses, bedding, baby items and toys
- Paint, stains, chemicals, chemical cleaners
- Exercise Equipment
- Medical Equipment
- Small appliances like blenders and coffee makers
- Pianos and organs (other instruments accepted on a case by case basis)
Sorry, but we are not able to provide a dumpster for rejected items. Please check out our Reuse Resources page for a list of other nonprofits and donation options.
If you need additional information or have questions you can email the Donations Team at Donations(at)CommunityForklift(dot)org or us at (301) 985-5180, Monday-Friday 8am – 4pm.